Dedication

DEDICATION

To RKS
you were my first
you could have been my last
you are my lost

And to YHWH
You are my first
You are my last
I'm no longer lost
Isaiah 61:1-3
"...beauty for ashes..."

- Mildred Achoch, 4th September, 2011

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS

A big thank you to David Citino and his amazing, inspirational book "Paperwork", for reminding me that poems - and poets - are worth something.

Many thanks to my namesake "Mimi" Mik for taking the time to read my crazy poems, and for giving me her invaluable feedback. You rock!

Asante sana to Murfy's Flaw for being one of the coolest and 'down-to-earthest' Kenyan rock bands! And for allowing their awesome song "In Silence" to be part of the soundtrack of this book of poems.

I salute the prolific poet Phatalvision for reading ALL my poems! By the way sir, "old school" is "gold 'n' cool" :-)

I am very thankful to my mum, dad and sister, for putting up with me all these years. I love you!

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Smells like an Anthem for Doomed Youth

What passing bells for those who live as cattle?
Herded together by a homogenized culture industry?
Load up on guns,
On the monstrous anger of guns
Express anger.

Express amusement,
Entertain us.

It's hard to find
The tenderness of patient minds.
It's less dangerous with the lights out.
Each slow dusk is a drawing-down of blinds.
Oh well, whatever, nevermind.

Poet's note:

This is a cento (a kind of found poem). Cento is latin for "patchwork". It is a poem "made up of passages from poems by one or more authors, a patchwork of quotations, a literary collage, a pastiche (in its sense as a mixture of poetic excerpts)"
Source: Poetry dictionary, page 53.

This particular poem is dedicated to Nirvana's Kurt Cobain who committed suicide around 5th April in 1994. He was 27. The cento is made up of lines from Nirvana's song called "Smells like teen spirit", comments from Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore about Nirvana and lines from Wilfred Owen's poem titled "Anthem for doomed youth"

Wilfred Owen (1893-1918) was a British war poet who served in the first world war. He was killed a week before the armistice. He was only 25.

"Nirvana were their generation's greatest voice, and continue to be...they identified and validated a complex and factionalized youth demographic, one alternatively entertained and disserviced by a homogenized culture industry....Nirvana expressed anger, amusement, satire, defeat, emotion and debate."

-Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth.

3 comments:

  1. What passing bells for those who live as cattle? I like that...

    I used to like Kurt Cobain, until Rhoda gave me her take on the suicide, now I just want to slap him.
    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Express anger.
    Oh well, whatever, nevermind.

    (That's how I feel today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Mik, I like that line to. It's the first line of Wilred Owen's awesome (but rather sad) poem. Check it out here http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/176831

    I still like Kurt Cobain. He is/was the personification of the tortured artist. Maybe this http://www.burntout.com/kurt/biography/

    will help you to be, um, more forgiving towards his, um, stupidity (suicide IS stupid!)

    @ Murfy's Flaw - Yes express anger WITHOUT A GUN!!! :-) Just write a song about it he he he

    ReplyDelete