Dedication

DEDICATION

To RKS
you were my first
you could have been my last
you are my lost

And to YHWH
You are my first
You are my last
I'm no longer lost
Isaiah 61:1-3
"...beauty for ashes..."

- Mildred Achoch, 4th September, 2011

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS

A big thank you to David Citino and his amazing, inspirational book "Paperwork", for reminding me that poems - and poets - are worth something.

Many thanks to my namesake "Mimi" Mik for taking the time to read my crazy poems, and for giving me her invaluable feedback. You rock!

Asante sana to Murfy's Flaw for being one of the coolest and 'down-to-earthest' Kenyan rock bands! And for allowing their awesome song "In Silence" to be part of the soundtrack of this book of poems.

I salute the prolific poet Phatalvision for reading ALL my poems! By the way sir, "old school" is "gold 'n' cool" :-)

I am very thankful to my mum, dad and sister, for putting up with me all these years. I love you!

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Oulipost #25: The more things change...


  Oulipost #25: Larding

Aka “line stretching.” From your newspaper text, pick two sentences. Add a new sentence between the first two; then two sentences in the new intervals that have become available; and continue to add sentences until the passage has attained the length desired. The supplementary sentences must either enrich the existing narrative or create a new narrative continuity.


1.  It always amazes  me how much development has taken place in this city since my childhood.

7. Sometimes when I talk to people and ask what they are doing, they say they are waiting. 

4. I have been on a voyage into rock music sub-genres as I search for a new sound to get addicted to.

9. The Study, titled Predictor of Extra-Marital Partnerships among Women Married to Fishermen along Lake Victoria in Kisumu County, Kenya, was published last week in PLOs journal

[as]

        
    3. A woman was found hanging in the house of a man who inherited her at Obumba in Muhoroni, Kisumu County.


     6. “I believe in one thing; when you help me out, God will bless you,” she said.

   
    5. For me, it all began when Nakumatt replaced Uchumi as the place to do your holiday shopping.

   
    8. Some people wait for perfect conditions, while others create the conditions they want through their actions and decisions.

   
   2. Sometimes I just stare at some new building and think, “Haiya, when did this happen?”

 References
 1, 2 and 5: "The More Things Change" The Daily Nation. 25 Apr. 2014 Zuqka 9. (facebook.com/Nadiathewritergirl)
7 and 8. "Waiting? That is sheer lack of a plan". The Daily Nation. Jobs 2
4. "Diskavering Ska Rock" Zuqka 8. By Sam Kiranga
9. "Adulterly blunts war on Aids, new research shows." The Daily Nation pg 1 and 2 by Joy Wanja Muraya
3. "Woman kills self after arson attack" The Daily Nation pg 2.
6. "Emily opens doors of fortune for family." The Daily Nation pg 3




 

No comments:

Post a Comment